Author Topic: Idiots everywhere!  (Read 1939 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Idiots everywhere!
« Reply #15 on: 14:55:08, 25/03/21 »
Back in distant memory, when I was a decent cyclist and a 6'4" member of the boxing team, at HMS Collingwood. A car was daft enough to cut up a mate of mine, who I was drafting on the way home. He crashed, but was fine. I managed to hop up on to the pavement and chased the car through the next few T junctions, until I caught up with it and put a fine dent in the left hand side of the bonnet.  >:(  Knowing full well why, the driver took one look at his bonnet, one look at me and drove off.

I don't advise anyone to do that, but revenge is sweet. O0
Oooh Collingwood - my first proper posting in the RN.  Used to do Officer if the Watch around every 2 weeks IIRC.  Also had an interesting conversation with the "powers" after being seen popping wheelies up the main drag.
Solvitur Ambulando

tomjackliam

« Reply #16 on: 15:17:19, 25/03/21 »
Back in distant memory, when I was a decent cyclist and a 6'4" member of the boxing team, at HMS Collingwood. A car was daft enough to cut up a mate of mine, who I was drafting on the way home. He crashed, but was fine. I managed to hop up on to the pavement and chased the car through the next few T junctions, until I caught up with it and put a fine dent in the left hand side of the bonnet.  >:(  Knowing full well why, the driver took one look at his bonnet, one look at me and drove off.

I don't advise anyone to do that, but revenge is sweet. O0
Great story BuzyG bet he won't do it again.
Having worked on the Gasboard with blokes your size I bet like them you are generally mild mannered as well.
I,ve had too many times in my life when I wish I was one of lifes Hard Nuts 😉

RAVE

« Reply #17 on: 12:34:52, 26/03/21 »
I am a carbon copy of Little Foot, I often dwell on the `what if's` and `could haves` after a traumatic experience, the sad thing about those children is that they will  grow up to be nothings. ABSOLUTE PRATTS!
He was both everything I could ever want…
And nothing I could ever have…

tomjackliam

« Reply #18 on: 22:16:04, 26/03/21 »
I am a carbon copy of Little Foot, I often dwell on the `what if's` and `could haves` after a traumatic experience, the sad thing about those children is that they will  grow up to be nothings. ABSOLUTE PRATTS!
RAVE That describes them accurately 😉

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #19 on: 08:50:02, 27/03/21 »
Some years ago I went for a longish walk over the Carneddau. It was a gorgeous day and I left my car about half way between Capel Curig and Llyn Ogwen.
With the weather set fair I extended my planned route to descend from the "tops" via Foel Grach, Gyrn Wigau to Bethesda. As I have occasionally done previously, I was fully prepared to "thumb it" back to my car.

I got to a suitable place on the A5 road on the outskirts of Bethesda and started thumbing. Several cars passed - fair enough, to be expected. After about ten minutes a car pulled up about fifteen yards further on from where I was standing. Obviously assuming that I was in luck I walked towards it. As I got to within about five yards of it the vehicle suddenly sped off to the accompaniment of jeers at yells from the physically and mentally immature occupants. Sadly, my best response was nothing more than to extend two fingers in their direction and to hope that I would see them later that day being reprimanded for some misdemeanour by Mr. Plod. Sadly I didn't >:(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:21:53, 27/03/21 »
When my son was young we banned him from using the words "I'm bored" and told him that it was our view that being bored is just another of life's challenges that need to be overcome. It worked, I haven't heard him say that word for years.

I'm sorry but some might think me pompous (or describe me in another way) but I'm not happy with the continued use of the word 'idiot.'

I personally think the word 'idiot' needs to be discarded from our day-to-day language to describe the people who are being identified. I believe that most people nowadays would judge this word to be an 'offensive' word and I'm confident that it's not an accurate word to describe these people at all. As I understand it 'idiot' is a hangover from the Victorian Psychiatric hospital era that goes alongside 'moron,' 'imbecile,' and 'cretin.' Again, all modern-day offensive words.

I'm also confident that the individuals in question are not intellectually disabled either, and obviously, all will have different levels of intellect and educational ability to draw on as they knowingly or unknowingly do what they do or choose to do. It's my opinion that no two people are the same, but I'm confident that none of the people that are being focussed on have been diagnosed as having a severe learning disability either, which is what the word 'idiot' suggests to me.

I am of the opinion that these 'idiots' do exist but for those who are offended or irritated by them (I'm in the irritated camp) I think a new word has to be found and used to describe them. I can't think of one but maybe someone else can.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:35:39, 27/03/21 »
GWM, the saxons left us plenty of words to describe those folk.  ;)
Too little, too late, too bad......

tomjackliam

« Reply #22 on: 12:05:24, 27/03/21 »
Some years ago I went for a longish walk over the Carneddau. It was a gorgeous day and I left my car about half way between Capel Curig and Llyn Ogwen.
With the weather set fair I extended my planned route to descend from the "tops" via Foel Grach, Gyrn Wigau to Bethesda. As I have occasionally done previously, I was fully prepared to "thumb it" back to my car.

I got to a suitable place on the A5 road on the outskirts of Bethesda and started thumbing. Several cars passed - fair enough, to be expected. After about ten minutes a car pulled up about fifteen yards further on from where I was standing. Obviously assuming that I was in luck I walked towards it. As I got to within about five yards of it the vehicle suddenly sped off to the accompaniment of jeers at yells from the physically and mentally immature occupants. Sadly, my best response was nothing more than to extend two fingers in their direction and to hope that I would see them later that day being reprimanded for some misdemeanour by Mr. Plod. Sadly I didn't >:(
I don't know whether it actually exists GP but hopefully Karma will pay them back.

tomjackliam

« Reply #23 on: 12:07:48, 27/03/21 »
GWM, the saxons left us plenty of words to describe those folk.  ;)
I tend to agree jb 😉

Casual Ambler

« Reply #24 on: 13:08:31, 27/03/21 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

I quite like numpty, braindead or excrement for brains....

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:40:43, 27/03/21 »
I quite like numpty, braindead or excrement for brains....
The trouble is that someone will complain about the new word and we will have to think of another one - I am happy with idiots, I don't mind them being offended. People with learning difficulties are not idiots.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:16:30, 27/03/21 »
The trouble is that someone will complain about the new word and we will have to think of another one - I am happy with idiots, I don't mind them being offended. People with learning difficulties are not idiots.

I'm not offended by the word 'idiot' either. 

It may once have been a technical term (as GWM points out), but in modern common usage it simply refers to someone who does something foolish or stupid. Language evolves.

tomjackliam

« Reply #27 on: 15:33:24, 27/03/21 »
O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:32:37, 27/03/21 »
Been called an idiot a few times.  Never caused any offence here.  I actually think is is a relatively mild rebuke in the modern English language. :) 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 11:10:03, 28/03/21 »
I should have thought that the word Cretin has slid into obscurity for the type of use it became discredited for in PC speak, shame such words that so aptly describe the behaviour under discussion should be totally withdrawn from the English Language. Seems to me that its use now is so far devolved from the original connotation that it should be allowed to re-enter use, when describing the people, who indulge in anti-social behaviour. Surely this how language develops, it slips off the tongue so much more easily than 'excrement for brains' and cretinous behaviour should offend no-one other that than the offender.

Or am I out of step with PC speak and those who wish to strangle the English Language in the country of its birth?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.