Author Topic: Idiots everywhere!  (Read 1937 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Idiots everywhere!
« Reply #30 on: 11:33:39, 28/03/21 »
...those who wish to strangle the English Language in the country of its birth?

Now on that, I agree with you 100%!  O0

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:03:52, 28/03/21 »
The woke/PC brigade should get a life!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:12:49, 28/03/21 »
English is an extraordinarily rich and expressive language and I love the joy of a well turned phrase or sentence - would that I could aspire to such heights.
The comparative sizes of the 2 volumes of my Harraps French Dictionary (English/French, French/English) suggest that the poor benighted French, by contrast, have to make do with far less words (Mrs N assures me it is "less" and not "fewer")  They have no seperate words for "his" and "hers" and have to use the same words for multiple purposes.  One word that many will know for example is "baguette".  It is not only a typre of loaf but also a wand (as in Harry Potter), the wooden beading that stops windows falling out, something to play a drum with and a twig.

As for foolish folk - the word I use would be censored by the software but it ends -wit. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Casual Ambler

« Reply #33 on: 12:27:08, 28/03/21 »

Re: The English language.

I'm currently reading Bill Brysons book on the mother tongue which I highly recommend. English is a real mishmash of several languages celtic, germanic saxon and angle, viking which still remains in the North, Roman,Latin, Norman french which had the biggest influence. Then you have the bits and pieces we've appropriated from the empire, which was predominantly India. The upshot is Engish is a multicultural language which is more than happy to absorb other languages which explains it's popularity.
Also it's the international language of airlines/air travel which further helped it to spread. The french dipped out when they got given the international language of post!
There's probably quite a bit more but I've only read a quarter of it so far.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:30:48, 28/03/21 »
 They have no seperate words for "his" and "hers" and have to use the same words for multiple purposes...

Ironically, the word I dislike most at the moment is 'multiple'. I see the usage (though not the word itself) as an Americanism that's infected British English. 'Multiple' simply means 'more than one', yet the word is increasingly used in place of words that provide clues as to how much more than one something is. For example, we have: several, loads, many, lots, a couple, a few, and countless... more!

I read a news article recently where multiple people had suffered multiple injuries! Argh, how I dislike that word (except in an arithmetic context of course!)!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:34:31, 28/03/21 »

Re: The English language.

I'm currently reading Bill Brysons book on the mother tongue which I highly recommend. English is a real mishmash of several languages celtic, germanic saxon and angle, viking which still remains in the North, Roman,Latin, Norman french which had the biggest influence. Then you have the bits and pieces we've appropriated from the empire, which was predominantly India. The upshot is Engish is a multicultural language which is more than happy to absorb other languages which explains it's popularity.
Also it's the international language of airlines/air travel which further helped it to spread. The french dipped out when they got given the international language of post!
There's probably quite a bit more but I've only read a quarter of it so far.
Yes English is very much the lingua franca, which must really hack the French off given the etymological roots of that phrase.

Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 12:35:57, 28/03/21 »
The woke/PC brigade should get a life!

In know it is easy to conflate woke/PC but my understanding of "woke" is that it is someone who is aware of social injustice and particularly racism.[size=78%] [/size] Surely that is something we should all aspire to, rather than denigrate?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 12:44:22, 28/03/21 »
My dislike when listening to the TV/radio is those who say "well me, myself, personally"!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:45:49, 28/03/21 »
The French may be hampered with a shorter dictionary, but one of the good things that came from chopping off the heads of most of their landed gentry, is the new ones have to get licenced from government.

It was bad behaviour that bought the French aristocracy into disrepute, perhaps if our equivalent were licenced, a standard of behaviour that replaced hostility with hospital might usurp the need for a Land Reform Act in England.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

shortwalker

« Reply #39 on: 12:54:37, 28/03/21 »

In know it is easy to conflate woke/PC but my understanding of "woke" is that it is someone who is aware of social injustice and particularly racism. Surely that is something we should all aspire to, rather than denigrate?

I don't think the aspiration is the problem it is the method of delivery that many rail against.

It is being called, Racist, homophobic, pro-slavery, if you disagree with what the "anti" movement (that in itself is questionable) is saying/doing.

It is not being able to express almost any view, in case you offend somebody.

An example of what I mean is "taking the knee" at sporting events. At some events, if players don't "take the knee" they are called out as not "being on board"

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

shortwalker

« Reply #40 on: 12:56:09, 28/03/21 »
The French may be hampered with a shorter dictionary, but one of the good things that came from chopping off the heads of most of their landed gentry, is the new ones have to get licenced from government.

It was bad behaviour that bought the French aristocracy into disrepute, perhaps if our equivalent were licenced, a standard of behaviour that replaced hostility with hospital might usurp the need for a Land Reform Act in England.

What on earth are you on about?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 13:02:24, 28/03/21 »
 :2funny: thought that would get you saw your name at the bottom of the page.

Not everyone knows that the French licence landowners thought a few might like to know. I am only assuming that licencing is a result of Madame Guillotines excesses but it a nice thought.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

tomjackliam

« Reply #42 on: 13:19:51, 28/03/21 »
Been called an idiot a few times.  Never caused any offence here.  I actually think is is a relatively mild rebuke in the modern English language. :)
Been many times when I have done something stupid that I call myself it 😉

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:21:41, 28/03/21 »
:2funny: thought that would get you saw your name at the bottom of the page.

Not everyone knows that the French licence landowners thought a few might like to know. I am only assuming that licencing is a result of Madame Guillotines excesses but it a nice thought.
Judging by the number of chateaux and associated estates there are, they did not make a very good job of it!  I never had a licence for my potager - should I be looking over my shoulder for Madame La Guillotine?
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:22:33, 28/03/21 »

In know it is easy to conflate woke/PC but my understanding of "woke" is that it is someone who is aware of social injustice and particularly racism.[size=78%] [/size] Surely that is something we should all aspire to, rather than denigrate?

O0

It has become very fashionable to be seen to be anti woke on some of the tabloid press forums - I do hope that this forum doesn't sink to those levels.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain