Author Topic: Idiots everywhere!  (Read 1956 times)

tomjackliam

Re: Idiots everywhere!
« Reply #45 on: 13:28:06, 28/03/21 »
The woke/PC brigade should get a life!
Don't start me on that
Oh well given you have .Woke is doing my head in and it's even altered my political stance as well Which will remain secret as it could open a can of worms. Can of worms is that ok !
Surely they shouldn't be in a can .
If this continues imo we are heading for big troubles in this country.

tomjackliam

« Reply #46 on: 13:34:16, 28/03/21 »
Ironically, the word I dislike most at the moment is 'multiple'. I see the usage (though not the word itself) as an Americanism that's infected British English. 'Multiple' simply means 'more than one', yet the word is increasingly used in place of words that provide clues as to how much more than one something is. For example, we have: several, loads, many, lots, a couple, a few, and countless... more!

I read a news article recently where multiple people had suffered multiple injuries! Argh, how I dislike that word (except in an arithmetic context of course!)!
[/quote
Expotentionally is mine 🤨 Why can't they just say rapidly.
The only reason people use these type of words when writing or speaking is I am sure just to impress others.

tomjackliam

« Reply #47 on: 13:43:36, 28/03/21 »

In know it is easy to conflate woke/PC but my understanding of "woke" is that it is someone who is aware of social injustice and particularly racism.[size=78%] [/size] Surely that is something we should all aspire to, rather than denigrate?
If only it was 🤨

tomjackliam

« Reply #48 on: 13:45:29, 28/03/21 »

I don't think the aspiration is the problem it is the method of delivery that many rail against.

It is being called, Racist, homophobic, pro-slavery, if you disagree with what the "anti" movement (that in itself is questionable) is saying/doing.

It is not being able to express almost any view, in case you offend somebody.

An example of what I mean is "taking the knee" at sporting events. At some events, if players don't "take the knee" they are called out as not "being on board"
I could not of put it better myself 👍

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 13:49:32, 28/03/21 »
Judging by the number of chateaux and associated estates there are, they did not make a very good job of it!  I never had a licence for my potager - should I be looking over my shoulder for Madame La Guillotine?

A fair bit of water has flowed down the Seine since the days of that lady and her automated knife, but I like the idea of the Duke of Westminster going to the post office every year with a bundle of licences to be renewed.  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 14:26:08, 28/03/21 »

O0

It has become very fashionable to be seen to be anti woke on some of the tabloid press forums - I do hope that this forum doesn't sink to those levels.

I think your wish may be too late Richard, sadly.

shortwalker

« Reply #51 on: 15:06:27, 28/03/21 »
I find this interesting, whilst some of you claim to be "anti-Woke" yet some of you question why I am on this forum as I hold different views to you.

My main problem with BWW is that he constantly blames landowners for anything he can, but when I challenge that view, a lot of you stand up for him. I suspect if all landowners were black, from the LBGT community, etc his stance would not be tolerated. 
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 15:46:07, 28/03/21 »
Ah Shortwalker you are correct,  many of us wouldn't stand for that.  However, sadly,  not for the reasons you may try to justify.
I have no idea what Woke us, but if it is what PDSTP wrote then that's what I  am.

My forebears didn't fight against Naziism for NOTHING.
Too little, too late, too bad......