Author Topic: Snowden + dog  (Read 3759 times)

Sidetops

Snowden + dog
« on: 11:13:26, 07/06/16 »
Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Snowdonia in a couple of weeks, and plan to climb Snowden for the first time. Not the first time I've trekked mountains, having done so in places like Andorra, and Peru.

My question is on which path to take, and I wondered if you could offer any advice. I prefer to be on a less busy route with nice views. However, it will be just me and my beloved greyhound. Is it OK to take dogs?

Both my dog and I are fit and used to walking long distances. Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowden + dog
« Reply #1 on: 13:39:41, 07/06/16 »
Hi!

It's fine to take dogs on Snowdon.  Just keep it on a lead the whole time, there will be lambs about.  (Even if your dog is fine with livestock, the sheep won't know that).

The less busy paths are the Snowdon Ranger, the Rhyd Ddu path and the Watkin path.  The Watkin path has the most ascent (starts lowest) and the panoramic views don't really open up until you're nearly at the top, but the valley the Watkin goes up is itself spectacular.

You might be best off using the Watkin, as it is the best laid of the three I've mentioned, so will be easier on the dog's feet.  Don't forget to take some water for the dog as well as yourself.
solvitur ambulando

TazDevil

« Reply #2 on: 14:28:51, 07/06/16 »
Hi,

As you have a Greyhound, although you mentioned that your dog was used to walking long distances, I was not sure if they would cope with the rough terrain, climbing distance, etc as they are sprinters plus couch potatoes so googled up and found this link, which will give you some idea of whether to take your Greyhound up Snowdon or not: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dogs-greyhound-rehoming

Sidetops

« Reply #3 on: 15:31:31, 07/06/16 »
Thanks for that, very useful information. I was thinking of walking up the Pyg track, and coming back the Miners track.

My dog is a lurcher (saluki/greyhound) and he often goes on 10 mile walks over the South Downs with me. Last week for example he walked around 50 miles in total for the week so I'm not so worried about his stamina. As above he'll need plenty of water, and I'll pack him some food and his body warmer also. The terrain at Snowden is a slight concern though. I'm thinking if he seems over tired by the time we reach the summit I could always get the train back down. 

TazDevil

« Reply #4 on: 18:31:42, 07/06/16 »
 O0

sbt

« Reply #5 on: 18:38:11, 07/06/16 »
We've taken our 3 staffordshire bull terriers up snowdon on most of the paths. The watkin path is our favourite.
We will be up there again next month fir a week ☺

keithie

« Reply #6 on: 19:38:27, 07/06/16 »
No dogs allowed on train up or down Snowdon unless it's changed since about this time last year...best to check first if it might be a significant issue for you

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:36:32, 08/06/16 »
My dog has been up Snowdon dozens of times, never on the lead - he is too well behaved. There are unlikely to be many, if any sheep on the miners/Pyg track combo.

The biggest danger my dog has found is other people's dogs.

welshwiz

« Reply #8 on: 20:54:02, 08/06/16 »
Hi Sidetops
You cant get the train down only,it needs to be prebooked from the bottom.
Its very busy at this time of year with all coaches booked up.
To many mountains, not enough time.

sbt

« Reply #9 on: 18:24:23, 09/06/16 »
My dog has been up Snowdon dozens of times, never on the lead - he is too well behaved. There are unlikely to be many, if any sheep on the miners/Pyg track combo.

The biggest danger my dog has found is other people's dogs.
I thought that of my male dog till a sheep stood up to him up Trefal  one day. He went for it. Luckily he's a old plodder so is rarther slow so the sheep run off. But is now on lead around stock. I'd rather be safe. There are signs up there saying all dogs
must be on lead.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:04:28, 04/07/16 »
Snowdon Ranger Path every time, firstly you will encounter hardly any other walker, and the views of Snowdon itself are truly spectacular from the Southern side.
Taking ones dog up a very busy mountain, is always a risk, especially if one encounters other owners with poor dog control.

Ive encountered several totally irresponsible owners over the many years ive been up and down Snowdon.

One owner i can remember many years ago, took delight in allowing his dog off the lead to chase sheep and their lambs right across the mountainside.

He tried to apologise when other walkers,including me,took him to task over the matter, but you could sense by his behaviour that it was deliberate.

Most dog owners, you included are very responsible when in the company of your pet, but there are always those who have little or no control over their animal.

If all you want is to reach the summit of Snowdon with your pet, in the utmost of safety, then choose the Snowdon Ranger Path, its the quietest way up the mountain, and by far the safest way up the, with little chance of encountering other dogs.

Savour the moment with your pet, and scale the mountain safe in the knowledge, that you can get to the summit with little worry

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy