Author Topic: lyke wake walk - how long will it take?  (Read 12537 times)

Knight987

lyke wake walk - how long will it take?
« on: 10:01:56, 09/07/10 »
Hi

How long will it take to walk LWW ?  I think it could be done in 14 hrs (no running) if fit and prepared.  What is typical time for this to be completed?  Would June be best time to go ?  Would prefer to go from Ravescar to Osmotherley, is this harder ?

Knight987

mananddog

• Veteran Member
Re: lyke wake walk - how long will it take?
« Reply #1 on: 10:22:31, 09/07/10 »
I personally think E to W is harder as the western end is where most of the climbing is. I have done it one each way - in 11.5 hours with an averagely fit mate (E to W) and 7 hours on my tod (W to E) with a fair bit of jogging.
I did a variant of it at the end of the C2C in (slightly longer) in 8 hrs a few years ago as a reasonably fit 50 yr old - once again a bit of jogging.
On all three occasions the weather was great.

14 hours should be doable if you are hill fit and have good feet/boots providing the weather and the going underfoot is good.

There are others on here who have done it many more times so will be able to advise better than me.
« Last Edit: 10:28:29, 09/07/10 by mananddog »

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:32:54, 09/07/10 »
Would prefer to go from Ravescar to Osmotherley, is this harder ?

Knight987

YES!

I've done both ways in the last 12 months, 15:59 elapsed 13 hours walking supported West East and 17:15 elapsed and 14:25 Walking East West unsupported (but that was with a pretty serious stomach upset  :-\ )

I think a lot will depend on your fitness and the weather on the day.  Also it's such a large distance that how you are on the day can be a significant factor.

HTH
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Highfieldbri

« Reply #3 on: 10:34:56, 10/07/10 »
As the others have said, as long as you are properly prepared, 14 hours should be doable. I've done it twice in the past year, both ways, and walking time has been around the 14 hour mark. The last time was in May, east to west, with Bill T, who as he said was suffering with a stomach upset. What Bill didn't mention was how strong mentally he is. I think it's probably 50% physical effort and 50% mental, you're going to feel some pain during any 40 mile venture, so you need to be mentally prepared for this. Bill, on the last occasion had a bit more to cope with.Lol.

Manandog said it was harder east to west, which is probably true, but I found it more enjoyable, i.e. you get the boring bits out of the way early (open moorland, bogs etc.) and have a nice challenge at the end. I love this this walk, it has a bit of everything, good for raising charity money too. Three or four of us are off again on the 29th July, east to west for a local childrens charity  O0

Good luck with your walk, if you are properly prepared, shouldn't be a problem. Bit late to go in June this year though  ;D

Knight987

« Reply #4 on: 13:18:14, 12/07/10 »
Thanks guys.  My intention is now to do East to West.  I live in Stockton and prefer the shorter drive back.  Probably do it on my own as most of my friends shudder at the idea of walking for 14 hrs.  Hope I don't get lost and end up doing 'coast to coast' ! :-\

Toying with idea of doing it Sept but probably next yr now.

OllieJ

« Reply #5 on: 12:39:37, 13/07/10 »
Hi,

I completed a crossing West to East in May in a time of 16 hours. This was with a group from work who included some that were not used to long days on the hills so if you are used to it, your target of 14 hours seems very achieveable.

It is some time since I have done a East to West and to repeat some earlier comments, I remember it being much harder that way across.

Don't think that you will have any problem with route finding (although having said that, in May we did get 'misplaced' in the middle of the night coming down from Carlton Bank when we missed the path and spent some time trying to locate it. I can recommend the CD from the Lyke Wake Club which shows the route as a series of photographs - although this is in order of West to East so may not be as useful for yourself.
"If you pick 'em up, O Lord, I'll put 'em down"  ~ Author Unknown, Prayer of the Tired Walker.

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:51:05, 13/07/10 »
Sounds like a really interesting challenge and one i might have to take up some time.

Have fun whenever you do it
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

Knight987

« Reply #7 on: 11:38:22, 14/07/10 »
so how long will it take to get to the lion Inn on Blakey if setting off from Ravenscar and intending to complete the walk in 14hrs ?

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:30:29, 14/07/10 »
You're about halfway, slightly over in distance but you will slow down a bit and have some notable climbs ahead, so about 6 - 7 hours in I would say.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:31:37, 14/07/10 »
And there is a sneaky short cut to avoid going to the Lion - saves about 10-15 mins

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:33:15, 14/07/10 »
And there is a sneaky short cut to avoid going to the Lion - saves about 10-15 mins

BLASPHEMY :o >:(

You'll be using a bus time table next :-\

;D
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:37:33, 14/07/10 »
I use the shortcut to make up for loosing the way at Blue man i the moss going East - always get onto that track going SE ish - even when I try not to do it! End up legging it through the heather back on track

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:00:00, 14/07/10 »
I use the shortcut to make up for loosing the way at Blue man i the moss going East - always get onto that track going SE ish - even when I try not to do it! End up legging it through the heather back on track

Highfieldbri struggles there as well, and to be honest if you do folow the correct route you are pretty well wading through heather anyway :-\
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Highfieldbri

« Reply #13 on: 15:43:27, 14/07/10 »
Highfieldbri struggles there as well, and to be honest if you do folow the correct route you are pretty well wading through heather anyway :-\

Not last time though, eh Bill?  O0 Or next time for that matter. It's going west to east where we have a problem with that, should be ok east to west  O0

Wait till September, be careful  ;D

randomkid

« Reply #14 on: 21:10:23, 10/08/12 »
Im considering doing this starting at 5am and fininshing around 7pm any tips from people with previous experience? Much appreciated thanks  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy